Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday

Woke up this morning to a steady snowfall. We packed quickly and departed while we still could. Within a 30 minute drive south we had descended below 4000 feet and the snow turned into rain. We spent the remainder of the day either in rain or snow depending on elevation. Our travels took us to some really neat places today.
Sendona Az is a beautiful resort city full of artsy people. The city is surrounded by large red rock formations that can be visited by foot or jeep. With rain and snow we choose to take a few photos and look for a place to eat lunch. Next up was Jerome Az. a small hippie town on the side of a mountain. The town is along a switchback road that rises 3000 feet up the side of the mountain. It looks very similar to those mountain towns you see on the Tour de France. I attempted a video but Jerome is much more than what I was able to capture. The town ends at 5000 feet but the road continues to 7800 feet over the mountain. We made it to 6400 before the snow forced us to turn back and go around the mountain. After all these sparsely populated wonderful scenic byway we jumped on I-17 South to Phoenix then on the Scottsdale. I made a quick visit to the TPC Stadium Course, Its just as beautiful as you see on TV. The rain has stopped for today but more in the forecast.

No comments:

Post a Comment